Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Iceland Circumtransit With Yavapai College Begins August 1

I am going back to Iceland! This time with Yavapai College EdVentures. I will be blogging from there so watch Earthly-Musings for stories and photos in the next few weeks. Here are some teasers from some of my previous trips to Iceland.

Looking south along the Mid-Atlantic Rift at Þingvillar National Park (pronounced Thing-vadth-leer). The Eurasian plate (left) is being pulled away and collapsing downward adjacent to the North American plate (right). Þingvillar Lake is resting in the downdropped basin.

Pahoehoe lava textures at Þingvillar.

The gorge at Gullfoss (Golden Falls).

At Geysir, and the namesake for all the world's geysers, the Strokkur geyser erupts about every 6 minutes. I caught this boiling bubble just as it was about to explode.

The southern coast of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula at Arnastapi Beach.

This valley near Dettifoss Falls was carved by a catastrophic outburst flood let loose from beneath a glacier within the last 10,000 years. We are hoping for weather like this!

2 comments:

  1. I love the bubble photo! I've seen the Yellowstone geysers (ages ago... time to go back), but I never knew where the word "geyser" came from. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome and interesting article. great thing you have always share with us. just continue composing this kind of post.

    ReplyDelete

If your comment will not post, email me with the problem.