Saturday, June 16, 2018

The 2018 AAPG Geosciences in the Media Award, Salt Lake City, Utah

On May 20, 2018, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) held their annual meeting in Salt Lake City, Utah. As I mentioned in a post previously (December 2 , 2017), the AAPG has granted the AAPG 2018 Geosciences in the Media Award to me for a lifetime body of work. What an honor it is to receive this award from such a prestigious organization.


A partial listing of past awardees in this category is shown below. What an impressive list and I am deeply humbled to become a part of this group:

John McPhee (1982 and 1987)
James Michener (1984)
Rod Redfern (1983 and 2003)
David Attenborough (1986)
Stephen Jay Gould (1993)
Jack Horner (1994)
Wallace Hansen (1995)
Donald Baars (1997)
Walter Alvarez (1998)
Sarah Andrews (1999)
Simon Winchester (2003)
Bill Bryson (2005)
Michael Crichton (2006)
Ron Blakey (2011)
Ben Gadd (2016)
Michael Collier (2017)

You can view all of the past awardees since the awards' origin in 1972 here.

I wish I could have accepted the award in person but was flying back home from Europe on May 20. Nevertheless, I am honored to receive this award. In 2014 and 2016 I received a similar award in the same category from the Rocky Mountain Association of Geologists for two of my books, Ancient Landscapes of the Colorado Plateau and Carving Grand Canyon.

More than viewing this simply as a personal award, I would like to thank the two organizations above who place high value in our field for recognizing professionals who choose a career path centered on the sharing of geology to a wider, public audience. Many awards , rightly go to those who perform original research. Yet our society benefits when they become better informed about all aspects of Earth's natural systems.

Geology surrounds each and every one of us, every day of our lives. Being better informed and in awe of the magnificent palette of geologic wonders makes for a more wholesome, adaptable and accepting society. Personally, I could have chosen the research path in geology as I loved field mapping. But my heart has always moved toward a path that involved sharing the wonders of earth history and earth processes with those who did not have the good fortune (as I have had) to study geology formally.

I would also like to thank my professors at Northern Arizona University who gave me the tools to think geologically. And to the many current researchers who share their findings with me. You are too numerous to mention here but I have learned from your results, incorporated them into my thinking and crafted them into a narrative that "regular" people find fascinating. Thank you one and all for your gifts!





3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Keep up your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, you deserve it.

    Wayne, speaking of geology communication, may I make a request?
    Could you revisit your wonderful "Geologic Column-Grand Staircase" diagram with a dedicated post.

    Perhaps tell us a little about creating it.
    Perhaps comment on today's internet astro-turfing of nonsensical claims about the Geologic Column being a figment of the imagination and that it doesn't really exist and doesn't mean anything.

    And post that diagram, large and proud.

    just a thought. ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! A well deserved and most appropriate honor! From Jack and Diane

    ReplyDelete

If your comment will not post, email me with the problem.