Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Raft Trip in Dinosaur National Monument, Utah and Colorado Begins


I am up in Vernal Utah to begin a five-day float trip through the Canyon of Lodore, Whirlpool Canyon, and Split Mountain Canyon on the Green River. I'll be posting pictures and stories after I return on July 4.

Today I toured the Douglas Dinosaur Quarry, site of the 1909 discovery of a fabulous bone bed in the Morrison Formation and drove the Harpers Corner Road on top of Dinosaur. More pictures to follow after the trip.

The mouth of Split Mountain Canyon.

The Nugget Sandstone (bottom white bed) is the time equivalent of the Navajo Sandstone, is capped by a thin red deposit of Carmel Formation and an upper cliff of Estrada Sandstone on the way up the Harpers Corner Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If your comment will not post, email me with the problem.